Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Technology Autobiography

Technology and I have not always been friends. I used to be one of those people who struggled to program the clock on the microwave and feared any pop-ups on my computer screen that asked me to “press ok to continue.” I’m not sure whether I was convinced that the machine was going to disintegrate beneath my fingertips or what the problem was, but I simply did not trust myself with technology.
However, I do think a lot of my uneasiness with technology in the past stemmed from the lack of technology used in my schools and my parent’s view of new gadgets. My family did not live in the Ice Ages. We had TV’s, cars, washing machines, dishwashers, and all the amenities which came standard with most American families of the 20th century. But, we were never the first to adopt new devices. I remember the days when the rest of the country was wirelessly surfing the web, while my Packard Bell was struggling to dial-up. I remember how my friends were downloading digital images and printing their own pictures, while I was running to CVS with my negatives.
Miraculously, in the last few years a lot of changes have happened at home. Each time I return for the holidays, my mom and dad excitedly show off their latest possessions. Today a flat screen digital TV hangs above our fireplace, my mom walks around with a step tracker strapped to her hip, and my dad is checking his e-mail on their new laptop.
While my parents have definitely taken big steps into the land of technology, I am constantly reminded of the generation gap that exists between us. Perhaps my favorite story to tell involves my dad and the CD player. I was sitting in the kitchen one day listening to music. The CD rotating in the player came to a stop as the last song ended. Immediately my dad stood up and headed towards the CD player. As he took the shiny disk out of its slot he asked me, “Would you like me to flip it over?” With that comment I was rolling with laughter. I can imagine my children will find the same humor in my actions one day.
Today, I am much more comfortable with technology and have learned to truly enjoy it. College has definitely introduced me to a lot of new programs, websites, and devices I had never experienced before. I am excited about all of the new opportunities technology has to offer.

No comments: