Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Reflection on My Reflection

Have you ever had one of those mornings when the person staring back at you from the mirror looks strangely unfamiliar? Today was one of those mornings for me. Recently, my life has been such a whirlwind that I have not had the chance to catch up with my own reflection. I have been too busy running from one place to the next to notice those gradual changes which sneak up on everyone. However, today I slowed down to see what I have become.

If you were to ask two of my friends to describe me, there is great possibility that you will get contradicting responses. I think people have always recognized that I am little “different” than the girl next door. Rather than a balance, I have a personality made up of what may seem to be impossible extremes. I’m often indecisive, but one of the most opinionated and passionate people you will ever meet. I can be completely unorganized, yet extremely meticulous about details. I have no problem being in the center of things, but in some environments I can transform into that quiet girl on the sidelines.

Through all of the challenges and new situations I have encountered this semester as a student-teacher, the different aspects of my dynamic personality have gotten a chance to come out. I have had moments of strength, when I impressed myself with my abilities, and moments of weakness, when I failed to reach my intended goal. As I look back, I can honestly say that I am proud of the work that I have done, even the assignments which did not turn out as exactly as I had hoped they would. I have continuously given my all and tried to use the positives in my personality to tackle the negatives. I have become more confident, willing to accept constructive criticism, and open to change. Overall, I feel that I have built meaningful relationships with the students that I work with and discovered a little more about the teacher looking back at me.

No comments: